History of the Val Saint Grégoire
Flints found in the Wormsa Valley, asandstone millstone dating from the Neolithic period found near Hohneck, the extensive presence of a Roman settlement at the entrance to the valley confirm the presence of man.
Around 660, an abbey was founded at the meeting point of two rivers named "Fecht". The town of Munster takes its name from the Latin word "monasterium". Munster was given the status of imperial town in 1235. In 1287 it joined with nine other villages to create the community of the "Val et de la Ville de Munster", or the community of Le Val-Saint-Grégoire. This community had its own seal and therefore its own legal status by 1287. The town enjoyed enviable economic and cultural expansion. Ramparts were built around Munster in 1308.
In the 10th century (962), the Ottonian emperors founded the Holy Roman Empire of which Alsace was an important centre.
In 1354, the town became part of the Décapole.
The valley was devastated in the Thirty Years War (1618-1648). After the Westphalia peace treaty (1648) Alsace gradually became French.
The 19th century saw the industrialisation of the valley thanks to the Hartmann family – Including textile factories, the creation of the Col de la Schlucht road (1842-1860), and the opening of the Colmar - Munster railway line which was extended in 1893 to Metzeral.
In 1871, Alsace and Moselle were annexed into the German Empire. We were now German.
During the First World War (1914-1918), the front line ran right through the Munster Valley which suffered shelling on a daily basis. Some 85% of Munster was destroyed and with the exception of Mittlach the villages behind Munster were left in ruins. The inhabitants had to flee at the peak of the fighting.
In 1918, we became French once again.
Occupied in June 1940 by the German army, we were now German again…The valley was liberated on 5 February 1945…when we became French again.